Sunday, May 2, 2010

Everyday



Everyday, I feel myself becoming more and more attached to Sydney. I'm putting down roots and they're taking hold. One thing I really love about Sydney is the way that even after more than six months of living here and becoming quite used to things you can discover a whole new aspect of the city. The other day by chance I had a dental appointment in Balmain. I have been to Balmain before but not right into the suburb - just the tip.

I realised while I was sitting on the bus going down Darling street that I was being visited by a familiar but unexpected feeling.
That feeling was the awe, excitement and curiosity that I tend to feel when I'm traveling (usually overseas). I'm not quite sure exactly what about Balmain it was that brought this on. But I liked it. Maybe it was the wide open streets, the old houses (but different; bigger more character than the other parts of syd), the mixture of interesting restaurants, boutiques, bookshops, grocers and family's, as well as the coastal feel. Balmain is a sort of peninsula that pokes into Sydney harbour.

The main street is hilly and random just like a coastal road that winds its way down to the sea. And the people were interesting too; a Mercedes parked next to someones shopping trolley house.
I was so excited about finding this little pocket of Sydney I called Marty and said "I know where we should move next!". Now I just need a break from uni and other business to begin the culinary exploration! Most of all I'm so happy to have had a half-day holiday in my own city! Funny how travel can happen to you when you least expect it. Usually its all about packing a suitcase and saving dollars - which I do love. But now I'm curious as to what other adventures lie a bus ride away!

The first photo is a picture of me in New York but that's kind of how I felt in balmain.
The other photo is of Cera the Dog watching the movie Underdog.

From the desk of Cera the Dog:
I didn't get to go to Balmain because unlike puny human my teeth stay healthy without much help.

I did recently discover a new spot in the canal where I can sneak under the fence to chase the pidgeons and ibis and to have a bath in the creek. Its not that good but I don't mind it just after the rain. I do like the way it makes my humans wave and yell my name though.

recently I met a cute baby dog, it was fun rolling in the dust with her. It made me realise I'm pretty grown up now and as a result I have decided to increase the percentage of the day spent sleeping to about 60%.

Well woof woof I'm off for a walk!

2 comments:

  1. Keep writing! I enjoy reading of your experiences!
    love,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Daria, don't get too settled, we want you back! Oh well, we'll just have to visit you, or come to your wedding, or something. I often feel the same in Brisbane even though I've lived here since 1968 - on Labour Day I went for a ride along the Bulimba Creek Bikeway from Eight Mile Plains, through all these creekways and back streets I never even knew existed. I'm planning a photo essay on my favourite bike routes, but need to find the time in my busy life to do it.

    @Cera, you should get your humans to test the water quality before you spend too much time running off to swim in the creek.

    ReplyDelete